Thursday, January 9, 2014

13 Dhaba - HYD

It's been a year since I've been this excited about the food I was eating. 13 Dhaba gives me an idea of how a small eating joint like Bikanervala, Haldiram and Adigas which served good food became so big, having multiple joints across the country. 

Started by a big, happy Punjabi family, they 'piloted' their homely food by selling it off a small truck and it was loved! They ran out of food within the hour of setting up. Encouraged by the response, they finally opened up a small place in Gachibowli serving a small yet tasty menu. 13 Dhaba shows how ambience and size of a place does not matter when the food served is brilliant. I can't stop praising the food I ate here! I've been recommending this place to everyone ever since. So let's talk about what makes 13 Dhaba such a good place.


Their rajma chawal is one of the best I've had. The rajma was soft unlike other restaurants where the rajma is never fully cooked. The curry was thin with onions and lightly spiced with red chilli, coriander and cumin powder and some coriander leaves. It reminded me of home and how my mom makes rajma. Served with slivers of onions, this is a perfect lunch or dinner without the guilt of eating 'outside food'.


If there is anything you should go here for, it's their kadhi chawal! The kadhi made of besan and sour curds is by far the best I've had. Again not made very thick, the spices blended so well with the curd it just melts in your mouth. They also added potatoes in the kadhi which I've never seen before but it added a nice touch to it. We just couldn't stop eating the kadhi chawal! The pakoda was good too. The onions had a light coating of the besan batter and fried. It did not have the pasty taste of usual pakodas you get with excess of baking soda in it. This is a MUST TRY!


Don't like rice? Then just gorge on these beautiful chole-bhatures. Now I've had these in Delhi and the chole I've had there is always the bench mark I use. The chole in 13 Dhaba did not disappoint. It has the same taste as any place in Delhi and it doesn't give that oily heavy feeling! The chole is also served with rice. But the star of the dish was the bhatura. It reminded me of my childhood when my mum made the same kind of bhaturas. If you have eaten the same type as I have (even at home), then you will love the sour fermented taste of this bhatura and the plus point is they aren't too oily! This is the most authentic bhatura you will get in Hyderabad and I urge you not to miss it. 13 Dhaba has finally shown how a true bhatura should be made!


The aloo puri was good. The puri was thick and had hints of ajwain. The aloo curry was thick with a taste of coriander and red chilli blending so well. This dish did not disappoint at all but I feel it is and will be overshadowed by the it's cousin the chole bhature!


To end the excellent meal, have their moong dal halwa. Not many people know of this sweet and people might find the idea of the halwa strange but it is worth being adventurous. the halwa wasn't laden with too much ghee, had the right amount of sweet and just tasted home-made. 

I hope 13 Dhaba keeps up the homely taste they are recognised for. They are already popular among the IT crowd in and around Gachibowli. I'm also inspired by the entrepreneurial spirit of the Matharu family for having started and set up a permanent place to serve great food within a matter of 2 months! I hope to see them grow and it is too early to say this, I also hope they are successful in the challenge of ensuring the same taste is served no matter how big they grow!

Location: Near ORR flyover
Timings:  12.30PM - 3.30PM, 7 PM to 9.30PM. Closed every last Monday of the month.
Cost for 2: Rs. 200 - if you eat 4 dishes like we did
Taste: 9/10 - 
Service: 9/10
Ambience: 7/10 - I like how they set up the place beautifully like a dhaba even though they have very limited space  

1 comment:

  1. Where are the other items in 13? some dhahi bhalle kachory and jelebi with doodh must be added to bring Punjab in Hyderabad.

    ReplyDelete