Saturday, December 14, 2013

Masala kart - street food festival - HYD

The amount of street food we have is just not enough to be showcased in an exhibition. But its amazing how Masala kart has been able to feature some popular and some interesting street food its street food festival.

Go here to taste some scrumptious street food from all major regions of India. They have street food ranging from Kerala's appam with stew, Mumbai's vada pav, Punjabi paratas and tikkas, Gujarati dhokla and Bengali egg rolls. You will also get a taste of interesting local street food from Tamil nadu, Parsi food and Chettinadu style chicken. There are a lot of sweet options too - Andhra's kaja to Kerala's unni appams and Thirunalvelli's famous halwa made fresh in front of your eyes.
All these stalls are run by the local chefs who probably sell the same in their home towns. My suggestion would be to go in a group since there is so much to try! Here are some of the dishes I had when I went:


Vada pav! They ran out of chutney by the time I went at 8PM so I suggest you go there early to make sure you get to taste the whole dish. The pav and vada were good nonetheless - almost authentic.


Mangalore dahi vada was as good as I remember it to be. It's different from the usual chaat dahi vada and uses the urad dal vada soaked in tart curd and topped with coconut and carrot mixture and spicy boondi.


This was one of the best sweets I had here. Fresh and syrupy kaja which was fried in pure ghee. Do not miss this if you have a sweet tooth.


This was Karandi omelet from Tamil Nadu. Made in an appam pan, the eggs are stuffed with country chicken curry and taste really good! The eggs are fluffy with a nice spicy taste of the curry. Do try this dish.


Burmese egg was really good. A simple boiled egg made interesting with bits of spicy chicken and sliced onions. It was Rs.30 which stopped me from gorging on more eggs. 


The chicken momos weren't the best I've had. The casing was thick and it was stuffed with a spicy chicken with fried onions. The red chilli sauce wasn't the best either.


This is Kerala sweet made using banana as the casing and has a filling of cardamom, coconut and jaggery. I've had the version where turmeric leaf is used but this would taste equally good. If you want a taste of a authentic Kerala sweet, this is a it.


The Chettinadu chicken fry was not I expected. The board mentioned spicy fried boneless chicken but I got a chicken curry which was delicious nonetheless. So there were misses like these but I guessing it was because I was late and not because they actually didn't have the dish.


The Bengali egg chicken roll was delicious. A soft maida wrap with egg inside and spicy chicken, onions and green chillis rolled in. 


This was one of the better dishes we had. It's called chicken patiya and is a sweet-sour Parsi preparation. The curry had succulent boneless chicken and was served with soft chapati. This is a must try!


You can walk by paneer being tandoored right in front of your eyes. 


I had the sambar vada at the MTR stall and it was not the best. The sambar was watered down and the vada was cold. I was disappointed with the dish since I was expecting to taste some Bangalorean food.


The parata sold was the famous Delhi Paratewali galli style. Paneer paratas deep fried in ghee and served with curd. They were out of paratas by the time I reached so again I suggest you reach early for a taste of Delhi's famous paratas.


The dahi bhalla papadi chaat was good too. My friend who recently had Delhi chaat didn't feel it was the best but then again I guess this is the best we could find.


This Naneri sharbath is a MUST HAVE! It a coolant which has this amazing herby taste with a hint of lemon juice. We had three of these. 


The famous oversized rice papad! This brought back childhood memories of going to Interior Decor exhibitions and having these giant papads with chaat masala and red chilli powder. But I don't remember it being Rs.40! I guess things have become expensive.


This was another interesting dish we had. These are betel leaf bajjis. You can't take the betal lead much though. There is too much batter than betel leaf. 


Ah the famous Thirunalvelli halwa which was fast moving and was over by the time I got to it. I strongly recommend this sweet!


This was the best dhokla I've ever had! A fresh batch had come out and it looked delicious. You can have the usual white dhokla or the yellow khaman version or a mix. I had the mixed one. She serves the dhoklas with peanut oil, a spicy powder of dal, red chilli powder and more peanut oil and green coconut chutney. All this is topped with yellow sev. This is a must try again! 

Location: Hitex, Kondapur
Timings:  6PM - 9PM on 14th and 15th December, 2013
Cost for 2: Rs. 400
Taste: 7/10 - it's a good place for an intro to various street food though they might taste as authentic. 
Service: 8/10
Ambience: 7/10 - You'll love this if you loved exhibitions

No comments:

Post a Comment