Thursday, January 30, 2014

Tuscany - HYD

My love affair with Italian food started when I tasted my first thin crust pizza. With a crispy crust and fresh mozzarella cheese on top, I realised there is more to Italian food than just thick crust pizza from the Pizza Huts and Domino's and the pastas with thick sauces. Bruschetta is now one of my regular dishes to try at restaurants which serve them. Italian food introduced me to the wonderful taste of basil pesto and how it works so amazingly with starchy food like pasta and potatoes.

Tuscany is the latest Italian addition in the Hyderabad culinary scene. A family restaurant, Tuscany boasts of having a wine tasting room and an olive oil tasting session. The restaurant has a simple decor which is looks elegant with the soft lighting. The whole room has a cosy feel to it. The food they serve adds to that feeling.

Tuscany/Trident has been very good with its different promotions. When I went for dinner, they were running a promotion of complimentary wine tasting and olive oil tasting for Tuscany's guests. So if you want to try some beautiful Tuscan wine and interesting olive oils, you must visit this place soon.


You are welcomed with this wonderful pan of freshly baked focaccia bread. It's crusty and savoury with soft insides. This is one of the freshest breads I've had in any restaurant. It made a great accompaniment to taste the olive oils. 

This is an easy bread to make as well! So if you want to learn how to made this easy yet tasty bread, here's a link to one of my favourite recipe sites with clear and easy instructions and 4 very good looking guys teaching you!


I've always wanted to try olive oil tasting. It usually puts people off, as they imagine the tasting to be similar to sipping wine. At Tuscany, they make you try the oils with the help of the fresh focaccia bread. We tasted three kind of olive oils - an organic filtered olive oil which had a peppery taste to it, an unfiltered oil which had a fruity, olive flavour (my favourite) and an extra virgin olive oil which was in between the two former oils - lesser flavour and not as peppery. I highly recommend trying these oils. But beware, it could convert you into an olive oil snob.


As my appetiser, I had the Italian buffalo milk mozzarella cheese with tomatoes and pesto. The cheese and tomatoes were really fresh and worked so well with the pesto and basil leaves. This dish is more like a salad with the addition of fresh baby asparagus. I love asparagus but I like mine grilled in olive oil and sprinkled with salt (if you try it, you will love it too!). I would recommend this dish if you love cheese.


We also got the chicken liver pate. This was one of the different dishes on the menu. I personally don't find the concept of pate very appealing but my friend liked the appetizer, though we were trying it for the first time. It was a cold, slightly seasoned chicken liver blitzed into a smooth paste. Definitely an acquired taste, but not too bad. Also, the potion is pretty huge, so I recommend getting this dish if you are group of chicken lovers.


I love ravioli! The soft pockets of cheese and veggies/meat are the best. The most common combination in Hyderabad that I have seen is spinach with a mild cheese like ricotta cheese. Tuscany had ravioli stuffed with cauliflower and blue cheese. The pasta sheet was soft and generously stuffed with cauliflower and flavoured by blue cheese. But what I would have liked was more seasoning to the stuffing. The taste of the cauliflower and the cheese was fresh but bland. I requested for extra pesto sauce to get in more flavour. The white cheese sauce served with it was creamy yet on the blander side but I loved the parmesan crisp. Nothing like fried cheese! I recommend this dish if you love fresh, straight flavours but do request for extra seasoning if you find it bland.


The tenderloin tortellini with pumpkin sauce and pine nuts was loved! The beef stuffed in the tortellini was smooth and well seasoned. The juices created a sauce of their own in addition to the smooth pumpkin sauce and cream. The dish was garnished with some water-cress and sun-dried tomatoes which added a nice flavour to the whole dish. If you love tenderloin, do try this.


We had the lavender crème brulee for dessert which was amazing. The right amount of sweetness with a hint of lavender and a creamy custard. They also had a nice crunchy layer of caramel just like a crème brulee should have. The tall sweet batter biscuit was a nice decorative touch but was mostly ignored for the smooth dessert. Though it's a simple dessert compared to their other fancier desserts like their tiramisu or one of their delicious looking gelati, I would still have this for a light yet tasty dessert and also I love lavender which is hardly available as a food flavour anywhere in Hyderabad.

All in all, I loved my experience at Tuscany. They have a very different and delicious menu with good service. Our server, Kim, was very attentive and knowledgeable. I recommend this place for a nice date or pleasant dinner with close family and friends. Also do follow them for great offers and promotions. Trident loves its food and they make sure to share that love!

Timings:  7 PM to 11PM. 
Cost for 2: Rs. 5500 with alcohol
Taste: 7/10 
Service: 9/10
Ambience: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment